Corey Payne is a Churchill Fellow, former NSW Young Australian of the Year, Alumni Award recipient at the University of Sydney and a former Australian professional Rugby League player.He was raised in South-West Sydney and attended King Park Primary School before completing his Higher School Certificate (HSC) in 2001 at Westfields Sports High. Corey is the founder of the Future Direction Network (FDN) and a strong proponent of further education.
Bob Carr is a former politician from Australia. A member of the Labor Party, he served in the government of Australia as Minister for Foreign Affairs from March 2012 to September 2013, while also serving in the Australian Senate as a Senator for New South Wales. From 4 April 1995 to 3 August 2005, Carr was the Premier of NSW and was the the longest continuously serving Premier of the state.
Former AFL player, journalist, motivational speaker
Type 1 diabetic, stroke survivor, former AFL footballer, author, film maker and Mount Kilimanjaro conqueror, Barnaby Howarth has been making people feel proud of lives they are living by delivering his unique message to audiences of all ages, sizes and walks of life. When Barnaby was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 14, then had a stroke after being bashed in an alcohol fuelled gang attack, when he was 25, all he wanted was to get his regular life back – to mow the lawn, play footy for Pennant Hills, and maybe one day get married. He didn’t think that was asking too much, and now he wants to share his message about how facing difficulties with a smile on your face can help you find happiness in the life you’re living.
Former Rugby Union player, disability rights advocate, motivational speaker
Since his catastrophic spinal injury [C3] during his rugby training in 2008 Mark has been a passionate and committed advocate for people with a disability. He is well equipped for this task having attained a Bachelor of Business [Accounting] from UTS, and undertaken leadership training with the Australian Institute of Company Directors, Macarthur Disability Service and National Disability Services. He currently holds a number of positions within the community and not-for-profit sectors providing him with a strong advocacy platform – one that he uses enthusiastically to increase resources, and provide access, for people with diverse disabilities.
Within the community sector Mark is a member of Willoughby Council Access [Aged & Disability] Committee Member and Client Liaison Officer for the Heart In Union Rugby Foundation.
In addition, Mark is active in the not-for-profit sector as a Director of Paraplegic and Quadriplegic Association of New South Wales.
Mark’s fierce advocacy and competitive spirit has been widely recognised, including Clubs NSW [Heart of Community Award Winner 2014 and Ambassador]; Roseville Chase Rotary Club [Community Service Award Winner 2014]; Kayak for Kids-Lifestart [Ambassador] and the Hearts In Union Rugby Foundation [Ambassador].
Claire currently works as a reporter and producer for ABC TV, Digital and Radio News. She’s performed a number of roles at the organisation. These include being one of a small group of staff who worked to establish Australia’s first, free to air, 24 hour news channel, ‘ABC News 24’, Presenting news bulletins and breaking news on ABC News 24, Producing the network’s half-hour sports program, ‘Grandstand’, and working as a Bi-media content specialist for Triple J’s current affairs program, ‘Hack’.
Division Director, Macquarie Group Limited
Eugene graduated with a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Economics (Social Sciences) at the University of Sydney and was a residential tutor at Warrane College.
Eugene practised law in the area of Litigation and Taxation at Blake Dawson Waldron (now Ashursts), Mallesons Stephen Jaques, and DLA Piper (where he was a partner in the Taxation Group).
He has served on the NSW Law Society’s Professional Conduct and Ethics Committees. Since 2008, he has been a Division Director at Macquarie Group Limited and is the Global Head of the Transaction Taxes team in the Financial Management Group.
Since 1994, Eugene has been a founding director of Reledev Australia Limited, an AusAid accredited overseas aid agency and currently serves as its Chairman.
Dr Gerald Fogarty
Director of Radiation Oncology, Mater Hospital & Senior Lecturer, UNSW and Sydney University
He has spearheaded the use of Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy at St Vincent’s and the Mater. He trained at Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Australia’s largest cancer centre. He has over 25 first author publications and is the principal investigator of an International Phase III Trial in radiotherapy in melanoma.
He is a senior lecturer at both University of Sydney and UNSW.
He has an interest in education and is currently the Master of Warrane College, having been the Dean there for 12 years in the 1990s.
Other Past speakers at The Big Picture Program have included:
- Dr David Kirk MBE Former All Blacks Captain, former CEO of Fairfax Media and Rhodes scholar
- Professor Steven Schwartz Vice-Chancellor of Macquarie University
- Professor Neil Weste Electrical Engineer and Inventor
- Mr Alistair Coe MLA Member of the Legislative Assembly for the Australian Capital Territory
- Mr Peter Harris “The Creative Coach”
- Dr Michael Cook Journalist and editor of MercatorNet.com
- Dr Gavin Boneham Optometrist
- Mr Thomas Tudehope Social Media Consultant
- Dr Sandra Lynch Associate Professor, The University of Notre Dame and Director, Centre for Faith & Ethics in Society
- Mr Martin Fitzgerald Senior Educational Manager & Philosopher
- Mr John Perrottet Director, Perrottet Partners
- Dr James O’Sullivan Orthopedic Surgeon
- Mr Peter Saccasan Director of Pharmacy Services, RSM Bird Cameron
- Mr Matthew Johnstone Creative Director at the Black Dog Institute
- Professor John Hearn Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International), The University of Sydney
- Hon. Dominic Perrottet MP NSW Finance Minister, Member of the NSW Legislative Assembly
- Ms Deanna Lane Managing Director, Baddock Lane and Associates
- Dr Angus Brook Lecturer in Philosophy, The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Dr Marco Navone Senior Lecturer (Finance), The University of Technology, Sydney
- Peter Limbers, Partner at Ashurst